“…. Those who were on the ship with Noah were saved. They cooked a soup from the food they took with them……”
Our grandmothers and mothers, on the one hand, would tell this story, and on the other hand, they would decorate the dessert they boiled in huge cauldrons with crimson pomegranate seeds, lay small pots on trays, and go from door to door and share it with everyone, familiar and unfamiliar. Neighbors got to know each other and friendships were strengthened on the sweet occasion, which became the symbol of abundance and joy. An atmosphere of solidarity would spontaneously form, and there would be no one who did not have the smell of ashura in their home.
The feeling of longing that comes with the once-a-year Ashura week is another element that makes this week special and beautiful. When you taste this delicious flavor, which is diversified with fruits and nuts, “What did you add to it?” We hear you ask. Here we leave the MIS ashura recipe, which our chefs blend their love with the inspiration they get from wheat, to share with you. Enjoy your meal…
- 2 cups ground wheat
- Half cup of dried beans
- Half cup of chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon of rice
- 50 g currants
- 50 g seedless grapes
- 150 g dried figs
- 150 g dried apricots
- Peel of half an orange
- 3-5 cloves
- 1 stick of cinnamon stick of 10 cm
- 1 apple (not sour)
- a pinch of salt
- Sugar according to your taste
- 1 cup of milk (optional)
- Nuts, walnuts, pistachios, pomegranates to decorate
- Put the beans, chickpeas and wheat in enough water to cover them overnight, drain the water in the morning and boil them all in a pressure cooker.
- Without peeling a whole apple, dip the cloves on it and throw it into the asurea.
- Add enough water to get close to one inch. Do not close the lid until it starts to boil, after it starts to boil, remove the foam that forms on it and close the lid of the pot.
- Turn down the stove. Cook in this way (according to our pressure cooker’s cooking) for half an hour and 40 minutes, under low heat.
- Don’t worry too much about this time, because the stove is low, it will cook slowly and get thick, don’t worry, the wheat should swell and open well so that the juice is of a concise consistency (by the way, the apple will stay in the pot until the wheat is cooked, because it has a crust, and the lid is closed). When you open it, you can gently remove it from the pot with the help of a large spoon).
- Take the grapes in a coffee pot, put hot water on it and boil it for 3-5 minutes. Filter your water.
- Wash the figs and soak them in boiling water until they are soft.
- In the meantime, if your legumes are cooked to your liking, add the grapes to the pot, along with the tiny chopped orange peels, and cook for another five minutes.
- After that, stir the soup frequently so that it does not stick to the bottom. Then add the finely chopped figs and apricots.
- Add the cinnamon stick. Do not add sugar all at once, adjust the taste according to your taste, boil it in this way for 5 minutes (the water is enough, but you can add some hot water during the boiling phase if there is a case that the water is less because we add the water to the eye)
- Then add 1 cup of milk optionally by mixing the asure and boil it for 1-2 more times, then turn off the heat (don’t worry, it won’t change the taste of milk, but it will lighten its color).
- Garnish and serve hot or cold as you wish.